Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Works-for-me-Wed. - favorite freezer friendly recipes

I am becoming a freezer cooking fanatic - it works for me! My favorite recipes are dump recipes (as in take a zip-loc, label it and dump in the meat (preferably raw or with minimal prep) and then something else. Seal it up and freeze.

Here are several of our favorite chicken recipes.

Chinese Chicken Morsels
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 cups)
1 cup long-grain, uncooked rice *

marinade:
1/2 cup lemon juice
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (opt.)

Cut chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes. Mix marinade. Put chicken cubes and marinade in 1 gallon freezer bag. Freeze.

To serve, thaw and remove chicken from marinade. Bring marinade to boil in a small saucepan. Place chicken cubes about an inch apart on broiler pan treated with nonstick spray. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 7 minutes, brushing with marinade once. Turn chicken cubes and broil another 4 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions.

Lemon Chicken

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed garlic
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 cup white rice, cooked (store uncooked) *

Mix all the spices and juice in a 1-gallon freezer bag, add chicken and freeze.

To serve, thaw chicken mixture. Preheat oven to 450. Place chicken in a 8x8x2-inch baking dish, treated with nonstick spray. Pour liquid over chicken. Bake 20 minutes. Turn chicken over and baster it. Bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Serve over rice, if desired.

You don't freezer cook? Try it - you'll like it!

Have no idea where to start? You could try my method here. My last post was also freezer cooking tips.

Head on back over to ROCKS IN MY DRYER for oodles of ideas!

Note - if you'd accessed this post previously and came back for my wonderful recipes. Somehow, with my wonderful computer skills, I deleted the recipes - I guessed at which ones I used - we like these.

10 comments:

Wani said...

Thanks for sharing! I've always wanted to freezer cook! I might have to give those recipes a try! C'mon by Wani's World and check out my WFMW post!

Robin said...

Those sound good, I'm going to give them a try. Thanks.

Memarie Lane said...

Now that I have a FoodSaver I'm going to have to give these a try. Especially with a new baby coming, have to get some easy meals set up. Thanks for the recipes, they sound great.

Sarah W. said...

I am definitely going to try these! I am always up for freezer meals. Thanks!

Deanna said...

I love freezer cooking too and I am always on the hunt for new recipes!

Brooke said...

i need to try the freezer bag on a cookie sheet idea. right now i'm just dealing with the tiny freezer over my fridge and don't have room for my frozen alfredo to be in a tuperwear container!!

Alison said...

Thanks for the recipes. I will definitely try them.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! I pre-make casseroles and freeze them, but I've never done this, and definitely will. Thanks!

marigold said...

People pay a lot of money to go to places and make these meals! I'm so glad you're posting your favorites for free!!!

BTW, your link didn't work well from Shannon's WFMW site... Had to do some deleting to find your site but I'm glad I did!

Muthering Heights said...

I too love to freeze meals...it makes life so much easier on busy days!