Friday, September 17, 2010

my faves - brunch recipes

Overnight French Toast Casserole

1 loaf french bread (I buy the pre-sliced plain kind at Wal-Mart and use a little over half the loaf - squishing as much in the pan as I can)
1/2 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
3 T Karo Syrup
6 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
1 T vanilla

Melt butter and brown sugar and Karo over med heat. Bring to a boil and then pour evenly into 9 x 13 casserole pan. Lay bread on top. Mix eggs, milk and vanilla and pour over bread. Sprinkle top with cinnamon and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.

Next morning, uncover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Sausage-Chile-Egg Casserole

1 lb pork sausage
8 oz green chiles
8 oz cheese (I like Co-Jack blend)
8 eggs, beaten
5 oz evaporated milk (can use reg milk just not quite as good)
2 1/2 T flour

Preheat oven to 325. Cook sausage over med heat until browned. Crumble and drain. Layer 1/2 of the sausage, then 1/2 the cheese. Repeat. Combine eggs, milk and flour. Pour over top. Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.

note - I don't layer - just sausage spread evenly, dotted evenly with chiles and covered with cheese. I use my Kitchen aid to get the egg/milk/flour mixture well blended (looks gross when they're separated on top of the casserole) I make this the night before and then uncover in the a.m. and bake at 350 for 45 minutes (with the french toast)

No comments: