Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Works-for-me-Wed. - organize your kitchen with index cards

My very best and easiest kitchen organization tip is to ALWAYS make a weekly (if not monthly) menu (I actually do both and find this works great - the monthly is just suggestions based on things in the freezer and very flexible).

I use a 3 x 5 index card that I keep clipped to a basket on the counter in the middle of my kitchen counter. I write my menu on one side and a running grocery list on the other. When I go to the store I can slip it in by back pocket with my credit card because I always have 2 to 4 "helpers" with me. Having the menu with me helps me replace items I can't easily locate and/or know whether we'll really use any of the cool deals I find on the bakery clearance rack or elsewhere. I also always circle the things I HAVE to have in the next 2 days or so. Occasionally I forget things or have to make a quick exit due to my helper situation - helps to know what I had to have and make sure I get those items in the very least.

Head on back over to ROCKS IN MY DRYER for oodles of ideas!

8 comments:

Jen said...

What a great system! Thanks for the idea.

BlueCastle said...

Oh that's an excellent idea! Thank you.

Jerralea said...

I use index cards for all types of things! It's frugal, too. Only 50 cents a package, and you can use both sides!

Audra Krell said...

Great testimony to planning ahead. Have a blessed week!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Great idea! :D Thanks for sharing!

MariePhotographie said...

I do something similar, but I'm always losing my index card. That's a great idea to just tape it to something in the kitchen. I'm all over that. Thanks!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

That's a great and INEXPENSIVE solution! Thanks!

marigold said...

I love the menu on one side and grocery list on the other side idea! And I am SUCH a fan of the back pocket storage area!!