Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Works-for-me-Wed. - getting kids to pick up their stuff

My best tip this week is called the "10 item pick-up". I've learned that the best way to get kids (or even me) to do the right thing (like pick up their own belongings) is to make it easier than doing it the wrong way (like dumping them wherever). Around our house if you leave out your belongings, like a backpack, I just say "Bubby, Backpack plus 10". He then has to pick up the backpack and put it where it goes and then pick up 10 other items that are out of place and put them where they go. I've also used this for potty flushing ("Flush plus 10") and a friend has adapted it for thumb sucking in a 1st grader - says it's worked great! It's easy to say it in a calm pleasant tone and not nag, because, hey, that's 10 fewer times I have to bend over and pick something up (it is best to keep the glee out of your voice). (If it takes too long to get started - it goes to 20). It works for me! For more great ideas go on back to Rocks in My Dryer!

10 comments:

Phyllis Sommer said...

hmm....i'll have to give this one a try! thanks!

Chrissy said...

That's a great idea! I'll have to use it when my little ones get a little older!

Smellyann said...

GREAT idea. I'm totally doing that! Thanks :)

CC said...

What a GREAT idea!!!

I'm an adoptive mama too! :)

SimplyAmusingDesigns.com said...

I'd like to see that one in action...lol. It's a great idea - wonder if I can get my toddler to do that? :)

Alison said...

Wow, that is a great idea. I'm definitely going to use it.

Jen @ JenuineJen said...

Interesting idea. I am going to use it.

Kaye said...

Cool idea. Mine is a bit young still, but I will definite check this out when he gets a little older!

Kristin said...

Thanks for all the great comments. I don't know how little all your little ones that are too little are. My kiddos have put up their own jackets (low hooks), shoes (basket by the back door), diapers (trash) :) and dirty clothes away since about 18 months and love it. Yes you have to walk them through it (a LOT of times) but it saves a lot of time and starts great habits. Little is when they like their big kid chores. :) Enjoy! Thanks for reading!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Great idea, thanks for sharing.